Because your card stays in your possession, you reduce your possible exposure to COVID-19, which can be spread through contaminated surfaces.
Your card never leaves your hand when you make a payment, which means less chance of cloning or card swapping.
Just tap on the contactless-enabled point-of-sale machine for everyday items, no PIN is required. You pay within seconds.
Frequently asked questions
The contactless payment system uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to allow payments from a special contactless card and a contactless payment terminal.
This special contactless symbol on a card indicates that customers with this kind of card can tap to pay immediately. The capability ensures the card never leaves your hand, making the payment process simple, safe and fast.
- Payments are fast, easy and safe.
- You no longer have to carry cash.
- You experience shorter queues and a faster ‘check-out’ process.
- You never let go of your card, thereby reducing the chances of fraud and ensuring a safer payment process.
- It reduces your possible exposure to COVID-19.
Absolutely, for a number of reasons:
- The card is always in your hands, so you have full control.
- Each transaction has a unique one-time code that encrypts the payment information.
- All payments are protected in case of fraud.
No. The contactless technology requires the cashier to initiate the payment on their system before a transaction can take place. The card must be 2mm from the terminal to allow payment.
No. The contactless terminals can only communicate to one card at a time.
If your card is stolen, please call the Call Centre on 0800222333/+256312218348 immediately to cancel it.
The merchant staff are trained to assist you with the payment process in-store. Should there be an issue that the merchant staff cannot resolve, please immediately contact Absa. We will assist them to solve any issues relating to contactless payments.
Or please call 0800222333/+256312218348.
A PIN will be requested from you for the following reasons
- Your first use of your new Absa Vertical card will require a PIN to activate the contactless “Tap” payment functionality.
- You have exceeded the daily limit for your contactless “Tap” payments.
- If your transaction is above the no-PIN limit, you are required to enter a PIN.
Yes, you can perform chip-and-PIN transactions.